Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Holiday day 2: Rotorua

My day started in the best way possible. A knock on the door from room service, a long leisurely breakfast and a bubble bath. I then headed out to the gondola/luge on the bus (which was free). The gondola and two luge rides were part of my rafting package ($115 all up). 




The last time I went luging there was when I was 14 and it's still just as fun as it ever was. The view from the top was amazing - across the city and out to Mt Tarawera with Mokoia Island standing sentry on the lake in front of me. It was a great place to sit and knit with a cappacino. 

I did think about bringing sneakers...

Then it was time to meet mum and dad and catch up with my great nana who I hadn't seen for at least 13 years. She's in her nineties now and as fiery as ever. 

On the agenda for the afternoon was a white water rafting trip down the Kaituna River with dad. It was a lot of fun. For a grade 5, it seemed a lot tamer than my experience in Colombia, but the smaller waterfalls and the larger 7 metre one were a lot of fun. We didn't flip and actually at the end I barely had to dry myself off with a towel. I'd definitely recommend doing it. 

Back in Rotorua we grabbed a Kapiti icecream (chocolate and chilli, yum!) and headed down to the lake front to eat them when we stumbled across a flying demonstration by some old bombers. What a fluke. 


A trip to Rotorua wouldn't have been complete without seeing some steam and boiling mud so Kuirau Park was a must-do on our way out of town. 


Rotorua, a big tick. I was expecting it to be very expensive and being so touristy, the people not as friendly. I was completely wrong. Everyone I met was so lovely and not charging me entry fees - that wouldn't happen just anywhere. There's a lot more to see that I missed so I'll definitely be back sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment